Below is a list of the overall major themes developed by Shakespeare in this play. Choose one of these themes that you would like to write an informative essay on.
- Action vs inaction- Hamlet’s inaction, contrast Hamlet’s inaction with Laertes and Fortinbras’ actions
- Madness- Hamlet’s “antic disposition”; Ophelia’s madness
- Disease and decay-corrupt state of Denmark, Shakespeare’s use of imagery to develop this theme; for example “unweeded garden….” (Act 1, Scene 2, lines 137-138)
- Appearance vs reality- way things appear to be and what they really are; plotting of the characters, ghost
- Honour and revenge- Hamlet’s vengeance, revenge tragedy