Please no plagiarism and make sure you are able to access all resources on your own before you bid. You need to have scholarly support for any claim of fact or recommendation regarding treatment. Grammar, Writing, and APA Format: I expect you to write professionally, which means APA format, complete sentences, proper paragraphs, and well-organized and well-documented presentation of ideas. Remember to use scholarly research from peer-reviewed articles that is current. Sources such as Wikipedia, Ask.com, PsychCentral, and similar sites are never acceptable. Please follow the instructions to get full credit for the discussion. I need this completed by 09/07/20 at 5pm.
Discussion – Week 2
Developing the Classification System of Disorders
If you were to give a box of 100 different photographs to 10 people and ask them to sort them into groups, it is very unlikely that all 10 people will sort them into the exact same groups. However, if you were to give them a series of questions or a classification system to use, the chances that all 10 people sort them exactly the same increases depending on the specificity of the system and the knowledge of those sorting the implements.
This is not unlike what has occurred in the process of classifying mental disorders. A system that provides enough specificity to appropriately classify a large variety of mental disorders while also attempting to include all of the possible symptoms, many of which can change over time, is a daunting task when used by a variety of specialists, doctors, and other professionals with varied experience, cultures, expertise, and beliefs. The DSM has undergone many transformations since it was first published in 1952. Many of these changes occurred because the uses for the DSM changed. However, the greatest changes began with the use of extensive empirical research to guide the creation of the classification system and its continued revisions.
In this Discussion, you will explore the development history of the DSM system. In addition, you will consider the impact the classification system has had on diagnosed populations.
To prepare for the Discussion:
· Review this week’s Learning Resources.
· Consider how the APA developed the classification system of disorders for the DSM.
· From a historical perspective, consider whether the diagnosis of mental health disorders has led to better outcomes or marginalization of diagnosed populations.
By Day 3
Post a response to the following prompts:
- Provide a brief summary of the process of development of the DSM system of diagnosis.
- Share something that surprised you about the development of the DSM-5.
- Describe one example of how the classification system of disorders in the DSM-5 has marginalized or pathologized diagnosed populations historically or currently.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Section III, “Cultural Formulation”
- Appendix, “Glossary of Cultural Concepts of Distress”
Kress, V. E., & Paylo, M. J. (2019). Treating those with mental disorders: A comprehensive approach to case conceptualization and treatment (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Pearson.
- Chapter 2, “Real World Treatment Planning: Systems, Culture, and Ethics”
Aftab, A. (2019). Social misuse of disorder designation, part 1: Conceptual defenses. Psychiatric Times. Retrieved from https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/dsm-5/social-misuse-disorder-designation-part-i-conceptual-defenses