Watch the first episode “In Sickness and In Wealth” in the docuseries Unnatural Causes and answer the following questions.
- What is the central point of the documentary?
- What is the social problem the film addresses?
- What did the Whitehall study reveal about the connection between health and wealth?
- What is the wealth-health gradient?
- How do the lives of Jim Taylor, Tondra Young, Corey Anderson and Mary Turner exemplify concepts like the wealth-health gradient and the importance of power and control?
- What does comparing data maps of disease rates in the different Louisville council districts reveal?
- What might explain observed differences?
- Professor Leonard Syme defines control of destiny as the “ability to influence the events that impinge on your life.” Why is this ability an important factor for health?
- Sociologist David Williams said, “Economic policy is health policy.” How has U.S. influenced health inequities and health outcomes?
- What kinds of economic policies might reduce health inequities and improve the overall health of most Americans?