Week 5 – Final Paper
Social Issues and the Workplace
For the Final Paper, you will choose a social issue affecting the workplace and working environment, and develop a paper that thoroughly discusses the issue from both the workplace and societal viewpoints. Be sure to include the positive and negative aspects of the issue in relation to the workplace, society, and workers, especially the unique worker groups who may be most affected (e.g., women, immigrants, LGBTQ citizens, the working or middle classes, and racial, ethnic or cultural groups). Analyze how the issue could be positively supported using various social controls (e.g., laws, organizational policies/practices, training/education, government or corporate involvement, or social change) and recommend interventions in these areas. In addition, discuss the potential social or economic benefits which may result if your recommendations were implemented.
Choose one of the following social issues:
· The role of women in leadership
· Faith-based decision making in business (hiring and customers served)
· The use of immigrant labor in California
· Sexual harassment
· Executive versus worker compensation disparity
· The gender wage gap
The paper must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least five scholarly sources (three of which must be found in the Ashford University Library) other than the textbook to support your claims. Cite your sources in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
1. Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
2. Must include a title page with the following:
a. Title of paper
b. Student’s name
c. Course name and number
d. Instructor’s name
e. Date submitted
3. Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
4. Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
5. Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
6. Must use at least five scholarly sources, including a minimum of three from the Ashford University Library.
a. The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
7. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. For more information please review the In-Text Citation Guide (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and the APA References List. (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
8. Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Please review the APA Essay Checklist for Students (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. to ensure you have all of the required components for your Final Paper.