Consider the three basic relationship types described in the chapter: market exchanges
(transactional), functional relationships, and strategic partnerships.
● Define each, then give an example of a different sales organization that you believe does a good
job with that particular relationship type.
● What evidence do you have that each is successful?
Read: “Leadership Challenge: A Quota By Any Other Name” on page 186, then answer the
● What are the advantages and disadvantages of a sales volume-based quota system?
● What are the advantages and disadvantages of an activity-based quota system?
● What quota system would you recommend Ralph present to the CEO and why?
● What challenges would Ralph face in implementing your recommendation?