Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review the web page Early Learning Program Accreditation Standards & Assessment Items (Links to an external site.) https://www.naeyc.org/accreditation/early-learning/standards with particular attention to Standard 10: Leadership and Management. For this assignment you will be creating a presentation using either PowerPoint or Prezi (Links to an external site.). For assistance, view How to make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.).
Early childhood administrators need to be well-versed in standards set by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). Having comprehensive knowledge of these standards will help to ensure a quality early childhood program.
Excellent programming requires effective governance structures, competent and knowledgeable leadership, as well as comprehensive and well-functioning administrative policies, procedures, and systems. Effective leadership and management create the environment for high-quality care and education by
- Ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and guidelines;
- Promoting fiscal soundness, program accountability, effective communication, helpful consultative services, positive community relations, and comfortable and supportive workplaces;
- Maintaining stable staff; and
- Instituting ongoing program planning and career development opportunities for staff as well as continuous program improvement.
You are the director of your own childcare center. Using Standard 10 in Early Learning Program Accreditation Standards & Assessment Items (Links to an external site.) as a guide, create an eight- to 10-slide Prezi (Links to an external site.) or PowerPoint presentation to share with your staff, demonstrating the following NAEYC points:
- Effective communication
- Explain how you will effectively communicate with your staff.
- Create a protocol for how you will communicate with them, and how you want them to communicate with you.
- Describe what role you will play in family communication and your expectations for their family communication.
- Comfortable and supportive workplaces
- Describe how you will create a comfortable and supportive workplace for your staff.
- Develop a plan that addresses how you will overcome potential challenges you may face.
- Explain specifically what you envision a comfortable and supportive workplace for your staff including.
- Career development opportunities for staff
- Discuss how you will create professional development opportunities for your staff.
- Plan a 10-month calendar of professional development opportunities that you feel are important for your staff. Visit this web page for helpful Calendar Templates (Links to an external site.).
- Hiring and retention
- Explain how you will attract and retain quality staff members.
- Develop a plan of specifically how you will support the following:
- new staff
- veteran staff
- staff that need additional support
Your eight- to 10-slide Prezi (Links to an external site.) or PowerPoint presentation (in addition to your title and reference slides) should
- Creatively address the material including graphics, visuals, charts, graphs, or sound;
- Be designed to clearly and concisely address the material;
- Be formatted according to APA style, including the title slide, reference slide, and in-text citations;
- Utilize the notes section of the PowerPoint to expand on the presented points. These notes would be your talking points when presenting this to your staff; and
- Use at least one source in addition to the course text.
The Leadership and Management Presentation
Gadzikowski, A. (2013). Administration of early childhood education programs. Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
- Chapter 7: Supporting and Supervising Staff
- This chapter provides strategies that focus on recruiting and retaining high-quality workers and on creating a work environment where early childhood professionals can grow and thrive.
- Chapter 8: Collaborating With Families
- This chapter will present plans, strategies, and practices that administrators develop and implement regarding communication, parent participation, and staff training.
National Association for the Education of Young Children. (n.d.). Early learning program accreditation standards & assessment items (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from https://www.naeyc.org/accreditation/early-learning/standards
- This article provides information about the National Association for the Education of Young Children standards for early childhood education and will assist you in your Leadership and Management Presentation this week.
Accessibility Statement does not exist.
Berg, E. A. (2013, March 19). Questions preschool directors wish parents would ask (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from https://www.chesapeakefamily.com/family/ages-and-stages/preschool/263-questions-preschool-directors-wish-parents-would-askand-why
- This article describes the importance of parents knowing questions to ask when interviewing possible preschools for the child and may assist you in your Collaborating with Families discussion this week.
Accessibility Statement does not exist