Objective: To explore your own subconscious/unconscious life, make clear connections to the elements of myth and produce an original work of art.
All required parts below should be incorporated into one paper of at least 750 words total.
Creative Piece 25
Objective: Provide a clear explanation of how the theories of Freud and Jung connect to the formation of myths. Use your understanding of the reading material and the encounter with your own unconscious (dreams).
- Preparation: Start thinking about your own subconscious/unconscious life. For a total of 2 to 3 days (or more if there is time), record on paper or with a voice recorder, the dreams you remember most (you do not have to turn in this part). If you have difficulty remembering your current dreams, you can recall dreams from your past or even day dreams.
- REQUIRED– Read the material in this folder/module on Myth and Dreams, the Unconscious, and Archetypes. Once that is completed, you are then ready to start your reflection paper by intelligently commenting on the information – how do you understand these ideas and concepts in your own words? In three to four paragraphs, introduce the topic, summarize what you learned, reflect/react to what you learned from your own perspective.
- REQUIRED– In one paragraph and without getting too personal, decide on what is the most interesting, memorable or meaningful. On the other hand, which images are the most confusing and undecipherable? Using what you’ve recorded, write a descriptive reflection paper and brief interpretation on your dreams. Finally, explain whether or not you think the human unconscious plays a sustaining part in the mythic imagination and myth-making.
- REQUIRED: Creative Project – Become an Artist and create something in your own unique way. For example, you can use the Surrealist (Links to an external site.) style (Think Salvador Dali (Links to an external site.) or Remedios (Links to an external site.)Varo (Links to an external site.)) or just come up with your own style! You can draw or paint an image, use photography, write poetry, make a collage, etc. using your subconscious/unconscious as inspiration. Take a picture of your work and insert the image into your paper. Please also include an explanation of your artwork.
- You can use Freud as an interpretation guide or this website: Link (Links to an external site.)
Please attach your assignment as a file (doc., docx., pdf)